Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Are PCSK9 inhibitors the new Statin?


Despite the widespread use of statins, patients continue to experience major side effects such us gastrointestinal disturbances, rhabdomyolysis, acute pancreatitis, headaches, dizziness, irregular sleep cycles, and possible heart failure. Statins work by inhibiting the rate-limiting step in hepatic cholesterol synthesis. They decrease intracellular cholesterol, resulting in increased expression of hepatic low-density lipoprotein (LDL) receptors and increased hepatic clearance of circulating LDL. Less recognized is that statins increase the expression of proprotein convertase subtilisin kexin 9 (PCSK9). PCSK9 acts by reducing the amount of LDL receptors in hepatocytes. Circulating PCSK9 binds to the LDL receptor on the cell surface and is subsequently co-internalized together with the LDL receptor. This promotes the degradation of the receptor in the lysosome, thereby reducing LDL receptor density and clearance of LDL particles.

The number of low-density lipoprotein receptors on the surface of hepatic cells determines how quickly cholesterol is removed from the bloodstream. Thus, inhibiting the role of PCSK9 leads to an increase in the number of low-density lipoprotein receptors on the surface of liver cells. The extra receptors can remove low-density lipoproteins from the blood more quickly than usual, which decreases the amount of cholesterol circulating in the bloodstream. Since excess cholesterol circulating through the bloodstream can be deposited abnormally in tissues such as the skin, tendons, and arteries that supply blood to the heart, a buildup of cholesterol in the walls of coronary arteries greatly increases a person's risk of having a heart attack.

In a Phase 2 trial PCSK9 inhibitor, AMG145, showed in can reduce LDL levels as much as 55% when combined with statin with patients genetically predisposed to high cholesterol. Patients treated with a placebo saw a 1% increase in LDL cholesterol. A second Phase 2 trial of AMG145 found that it reduced LDL by 51% in patients who are unable to tolerate statins. This drug was administered every 2-4 weeks through injections, and so far, the main side effects reported have been minor reactions at the injection site, diarrhea, and headaches. A Phase 3 trial is underway to see whether AMG145 can lower the risk of heart problems, though the researches stress that this phase could take as long as 5 years. Still all this is exciting because PCSK9 inhibitors appear to be very effective, well-tolerated, and have no allergic reactions or major safety issues associated with its use.

 

References:

http://www.jlr.org/content/early/2012/07/17/jlr.R026658.full.pdf

5 comments:

  1. This new PCSK9 inhibitor drug seems promising, and the fact that it doesn't show major side effects is a positive. We will still need to see how the drug reacts when is used over a extended length of time. This seems to be a big problem in the development of new drugs, there just enough time or money to conduct large longitudinal studies. Researchers also can't predict every single side effect that could occur when the drug is released into the public, this is something the public should keep in mind. I guess we will have to wait and see how AMG145 turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where does all the ldl now sequestered at a much higher levels go and what happens to it in the long term? Pcsk9 and ldl are critically regulated yet we are happy to manipulate ldl so we "measure" less ldl in blood without regard to where the ldl goes? This is a disaster in the making with significant side effects

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lung cancer often goes unnoticed in its early stages. As the disease develops, a persistent cough develop and chronic cough worsen. include chest pain, shortness of breath, hoarseness, bloody fluid coughed up from the respiratory tract, and frequent bouts of bronchitis or pneumonia. Sometimes the first was bone pain, headaches, dizziness,I was so piss off and tired of my life until i read about Dr Itua herbal medicine on blogspot i really thought it was scam when i first contacted him so little time i think about it and bought the herbal medicine which i took for three weeks and i was totally cured his treatment is so unique,I never thought i will be able to be free from Lung Cancer.But not only this Lung Cancer This great man can cure,Dr Itua also told me he can cure such diseases like... COLORECTAL CANCER, BLADDER CANCER, PROSTATE CANCER, KIDNEY CANCER, LUNG CANCER, SKIN CANCER, UTERINE CANCER, LEUKEMIA,HIV/AIDS,OVARIAN CANCER,BLOOD CANCER,MEN/WOMAN INFERTILITY,BURKITT LYMPHOMA - NON-HODGKIN.BRONNCHIAL TUMORS, BRAIN TUMORS,BILE DUCT CANCER,BONE CANCER,VAGINAL CANCER,HERPES VIRUS,LOVE SPELL,HEPATITIS,HE'S A GREAT HERBAL DOCTOR.HERE HIS CONTACT EMAIL::: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/WHATSAPP:::+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete