Monday, April 29, 2013

Alternate Study Demonstrating Curcuminoids Positive Effects on Rheumatoid Arthritis


An estimated 1.3 million people in the United States have RA, a form of arthritis where the immune system attacks the body’s own tissues, specifically the synovium, a thin membrane that lines the joints. As a result, fluid builds up in the joints, causing pain in the joints and inflammation. This article is titled: “Rheumatoid Arthritis and Curcumin, What Studies Show” is provided by Emaxhealth: Daily health news, a reliable source for timely health and medical news information. This very succinct article explores the various effects and benefits curcumin could have on those suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. It then goes on to mention how a study that was published in Phytotherapy Research covered a clinical study where researchers were randomly assigned to the following three group: a group taking a daily dose of curcumin, a group taking diclofenac sodium- a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, a group that was taking both the anti-inflammatory drug and curcumin. Results of this study were that patients who had the daily dose of curcumin had the highest percentage of improvement in both DAS and ACR scores, which have not been defined in the article but stand for Disease Activity Score and the ACR score. ACR socre is a scale to measure change in rheumatoid arthritis symptoms such as reduction in tenderness and swelling of the joints. While not much more is revealed about this particular study in this article, the results of the clinical study where that patients who had the daily dose of curcumin experienced the largest improvement in both DAS and ACR scores. In addition, they found that curcumin had better DAS and ACR scores than the participants who took the anti-inflammatory drug. This study wanted to emphasize the need for future trials to validate the data and results in patients with RA and other arthritic conditions.

This article focuses on comparing the effects of curcumin vs the effects of anti-inflammatories on rheumatoid arthritis. The study that I read for this week was about Dr. Funk’s work on how turmeric extracts containing curcuminoids prevent experimental rheumatoid arthritis. Dr. Funk and her colleagues wanted to see efficacy of this chemically complex turmeric extract and compare to that of a commercially available curcumin product.  The aforementioned study varies quite a bit from the study that I saw on Emax health.

For future studies, where do you think greater research efforts should be made towards: to see how curcumin compares to other anti-inflammatory medication or to see how the bioavailability of curcumin can be increased so that it can have a clinical application in the future by solely focusing on the major curcuminoids? In addition, even if curcuminoids turn out to improve the ACR and DAS score significantly, do you think it is reasonable to think that physicians will prefer to prescribe oral doses of curcumin habitually instead of anti-inflammatory medications? Let me know what you think! Also, the links to both articles are at the bottom of this post.

References:

1. http://zp9vv3zm2k.ssscom.ezproxy2.library.arizona.edu/?eissn=1520-6025&sid=Entrez%3Apubget&pages=351-5&issn=0163-3864&date=2006&epage=355&volume=69&aulast=Funk&title=Journal%20of%20Natural%20Products&issue=3&atitle=Turmeric%20extracts%20containing%20curcuminoids%20prevent%20experimental%20rheumatoid%20arthritis.&id=doi%3A10.1021%2Fnp050327j&genre=article&spage=351

2. http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/rheumatoid-arthritis-and-curcumin-what-studies-show

3. http://www.arthritis.org/conditions-treatments/disease-center/rheumatoid-arthritis


6 comments:

  1. Looking through the journal article you posted, the results section states, "these data support the use of curcuminoid-containing turmeric products only for arthritis prevention and not for disease treatment in the face of active inflammation" prevention being the important term. This product does not appear to be a cure, simply a preventative measure. So to answer your question regarding the prescription habits of physicians leaning towards curcumin over anti-inflammatory medication, I think most of them will stick with anti-imflammatories, but suggest curcumin be integrated into the diet. Again, the study stated that once chronic inflammation had begun, the curcumin was not as effective. Might as well add in diet and exercise while you're at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading these anti-inflammatory articles, I am going to start adding a bit of curcumin to my diet, as well as start exercising more regularly, to really be preventative. I feel like that has been the reoccurring theme in this class- prevention is the best medicine. After reading my article about celecoxib and indomethacin, I'm now very wary of the negative effects that NSAIDs can cause. Not only that, inflammation occurs for a reason, so treating myself with anti-inflammatories seems like a very last resort kind of option for me. I'm still very impressed with the tumeric/curcumin and acupuncture articles in terms of their effectiveness as anti-inflammatories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there should more reseach in both field of how curcumin compares to other anti-inflammatory medication also how the bioavailability of curcumin can be increased as well. These two fields each have different view and results on use of curcumin. I was thinking why not to do more research on Turmeric which still have curcumin in it but It has better and more bioavailability and pretty much does same thing.
    After reading about curcumin and turmeric, I don’t believe curcuminoids turn out to improve the ACR and DAS score significantly but I think it should recommended with their anti- inflammatory medicine.
    I think adding some of the spice we read in articles will help for better health but I don’t believe it will cure severe anti-inflammatory syndromes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that we still need more research in to the effects of curcumin and its possible roles in treatment. After reading some of the articles about curcumin in discussion it seems to be the miracle drug. This drug has no side effects prevents a wide variety of diseases and helps alleviate some of the symptoms. Plus it is a spice you can just add to food! I don't think it would hurt to add a little into your diet however I feel that this seems to be to good to be true. I would like to read some more papers before I jump aboard the curcumin wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete

  6. Although therapy has become more tolerable and once daily FDC tables have made it easier to adhere to prescribed treatment, it still requires that patients take their medication regularly to achieve sustained viral suppression. When treatment adherence is inadequate and replication is therefore not suppressed, But dr itua promised and fulfilled his promised to me as he said I will share his work to people that are suffering from Infertility, Herpes,Cervical Cancer,Bone Cancer,Brain Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Leukemia,Brain Tumor,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Kidney Cancer,, Hepatitis A/B, Fibroid, HIV/ Aids, Alzheimer's disease, Arthritis, Copd, Diabetes, Liver/Kidney Inflamotry,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia. Fibromyalgia,Bipolar Disorder, Parkinson's disease, I have read a lot of testimony online from Jesus McKinney,Achima Abelard and Tara Omar on how dr itua heal them with his herbal medicine I contacted him on Email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com /info@drituaherbalcenter.com. then we talk on whatsapp +2348149277967 he gave me instruction on how to drink it for two weeks then after drinking it for two weeks I went for test then I find out I was cured of HIV, I thank him allot i also send him some money for appreciation, Contact this great herbal doctor if you are a sick person.

    ReplyDelete